Welcome to More Than Good Manners
Clarence House, which stands beside St James's Palace, was built between 1825 and 1827 to the designs of John Nash for Prince William Henry, Duke of Clarence. He lived there as King William IV from 1830 until 1837.
During its history, the house has been altered, reflecting the changes in occupancy over nearly two centuries. It was the London home of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from 1953 until 2002 and was also the home of The Queen, then Princess Elizabeth, and The Duke of Edinburgh following their marriage in 1947. Today Clarence House is the official London residence of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, and Princes William and Harry. It is open to the public during the summer months each year.
Very much a home, Clarence House is the last remaining great London house to be maintained in the purpose for which it was built. As the official London residence of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, it continues to play a part in the life of the Royal Family and the nation. The arrangement of the rooms and the grouping of their contents remain recognisably as they were in Queen Elizabeth's time, with much of Her Majesty's collection of works of art and furniture in their former positions.
Clarence House is open to the public during the summer months. Guests of More Than Good Manners are given a guided tour of the five rooms and adjoining spaces on the ground floor.